Wednesday 7 December 2011

In Security!

(I wonder how long I can stretch out puns on the word insecurity?)

Well, it's that time of the month again, the first Wednesday of the month, when I lay bare my insecurities.

But, this month, I'm not sure I have any - in fact, as the title suggests, I'm pretty secure.

At the risk of repeating myself, my current level of security stems from signing the contract to have a novella published early next year. Someone likes my work! They like it so much they want to show it off to other people!

It helps that it's a story that I'm particularly fond of. Some things I write are good - more than good, very good (big LOL :-)) - but some grab me (like my favourite Thorntons chocolate), some make my spine tingle as I read the closing lines, some have characters that have truly come alive for me. When one of those stories is accepted, it's like receiving a fantastic school report for my kids, or watching them excel in their school play.

So everything's good.

But, of course, as a writer, I also think a lot. And in the back of my mind, I've been thinking what if they change their mind, what if the company folds? When I read the original email, one of the negative thoughts I immediately had was what if they made a mistake and think they're accepting a different story by a different author?

But, then, as a writer, I think... wouldn't that make an interesting story?

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's wonderful news Annalisa. I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marta, it's certainly a very exciting time - if, of course, it's really me they wanted to accept!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hopped over from Alex's blog because your blog title sounded intriguing. totally random, but i have a character named Annalisa in my fantasy novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read your story! Where can we find it? And yay for being secure. I hope that's catching on with the rest of us haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to meet you Michelle - I'll hop over to yours in a minute (I've set aside the whole afternoon to do this, it's my monthly luxury!)

    Usually I have an adversion to people having my name in real life, but I love that it's a fantasy character's name!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi S.L - it's being published in February... fingers-crossed. I'm awaiting the first edits to zip their way over the Atlantic.

    I haven't stayed secure for long - my hubby's made me insecure about my novel-in-progress; but that needs a post of it's very own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great last line. It's all grist for the mill. Congratulations (in case I didn't say that earlier) on your upcoming publication. That's fantastic.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! I love that you are feeling the joy of publication. I'm so happy for you. They have the right author and the right story. You are being published!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue - you won't be able to avoid it!

    Robyn - thanks. My life revolves around me thinking 'wouldn't that make a great story?' - sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

    Rebecca - thank you. I have to keep telling myself that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that the happiness of publication made you feel so good, for a while at least! All you have to do now is learn to hang on to that feeling ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sarah - thanks, though remaining so bouyant is easier said than done!

    Karen - thanks, and you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your novella being published! Go you. :) And great to hear you're feeling secure. Pat yourself on the back. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still so happy for you! I can't wait until it's published! I'll totally give you a five star review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopped over from Alex's blog. Congratulations! You sound on the whole to have quite a positive outlook. It will take you far.

    Wishing you the best of the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is fantastic! And you're right, being "accidentally published" would make an awesome story. I see it as an underdog type story, with a subtle moral about how corporate America tries to dictate trends and pop culture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the novella! Can't wait til it comes out and we'll have a party for you. I think sometimes everything I write sucks out loud and that there must be something wrong that people seem to like it. Like maybe I'm not hearing them right because I've taken a very good happy pill or too much cold medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the publishing contract...Something really worth being positive about. Would be an interesting story too.
    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maggie - thank you.

    J.A. - that's so kind of you :-)

    Jacqueline - I think I'm positive because I refuse to think it won't happen. My hubby has witnessed some very unpositive moments as well, though.

    Julie - ah, I can see how that would go too...

    Melissa - there will definitely be a party! Sometimes, we just have to believe people when they say these nice things.

    Rek - you're welcome. Thank you for the follow!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment - I love a good chat!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.